Boosting Viral Immunity with Dr. Patrick Hanaway
Listen to the full episode here:
Dr. Patrick Hanaway
Dr. Patrick Hanaway is a board-certified family physician with a medical degree from Washington University and residency training at the University of New Mexico.
He spent a decade as the Chief Medical Officer at Genova Diagnostics. Following that he became the Chief Medical Education Officer for the Institute for Functional Medicine as well as the founding Medical Director at the Cleveland Clinic Center for Functional Medicine. He still serves as a Research Collaborator there.
He is the past President of the American Board of Integrative Holistic Medicine and co-founded Family to Family: Your Home for Whole Family Health with his wife here in Asheville, NC.
As an initiated Marakame (Shaman) by the Hui-CHOL people in the Sierra Madres of central Mexico, he incorporates these healing approaches in his clinical practice.
Dr. Hanaway also leads the COVID-19 Taskforce for the Institute for Functional Medicine, aggregating the rapidly growing body of relevant research and empirical findings and translating into practical steps.
The content presented in this episode is intended as an information resource only. None of it is intended to be medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Please consult with your medical practitioner or provider before attempting any new treatments.
In This Episode
- 00:20 – Intro to Dr. Hanaway
- 04:00 – What Dr. Hanaway and team are doing in light of the Covid-19 crisis
- 07:10 – How can nutrition help our immune systems?
- 10:00 – Quercetin and other helpful supplements
- 18:15 – Vitamin D
- 22:40 – Vitamin A
- 24:30 – Ketogenic or low carb diets impact on inflammation and immunity
- 31:30 – Diet and gut diversity
- 33:30 – Dr. Hanaway’s take on probiotics
- 37:20 – How does exercise help immunity?
- 42:00 – Decreasing contagion
- 46:30 – Using HRV and other biomarkers for early detection and stress management
- 50:10 – Dr. Hanaway’s experience with monitoring HRV
- 56:30 – The single best lifestyle action to boost your immune system
- 1:00:00 – Wrap up