Enhancing HRV Biofeedback with Mindfulness Training with Dr. Inna Khazan
Inna Khazan, PhD, BCB is a faculty member at Harvard Medical School, where she teaches and supervises trainees. She is clinical psychologist specializing in health psychology and performance excellence training using biofeedback and mindfulness-based approaches. Dr. Khazan is the founder of Boston Center for Health Psychology and Biofeedback, working with clients on optimizing their health and performance.
Recognized as a pioneer in mindfulness-based biofeedback, Dr. Khazan is a popular speaker at national and international conferences on the topics of biofeedback and mindfulness. She has conducted biofeedback and mindfulness trainings for notable institutions in the US and abroad, including the US Navy Special Warfare, US Army Special Forces, and the Stuttgart Opera and Ballet Company.
Dr. Khazan serves as president of the board of directors for Institute for Meditation and Psychotherapy (IMP), board member for the Association for Applied Psychophysiology and Biofeedback (AAPB), and Biofeedback Certification International Alliance (BCIA), where she is currently chair elect.
Dr. Khazan writes for Psychology today, is the author of numerous journal articles and two books: the highly-regarded Clinical Handbook of Biofeedback: A Step-by-Step Guide to Training and Practice with Mindfulness, and the popular Biofeedback and Mindfulness in Everyday Life: Practical Solutions for Improving Your Health and Performance.
In This Episode
- 01:45 – Introduction to new co-host and Research Director at Elite HRV: Jef Fry
- 03:00 – What Mindfulness-based biofeedback is and how Dr. Khazan became interested in it
- 05:15 – How HRV Biofeedback can be like tuning the strings of an instrument
- 09:30 – Examples of mindfulness
- 13:45 – How often we should practice mindfulness
- 17:00 – What the research says about mindfulness
- 19:15 – How mindfulness can make your brain bigger
- 24:00 – What a patient of Dr. Khazan can expect when coming in for treatment
- 29:30 – Some of Dr. Khazan’s best patient success stories
- 36:30 – How HRV Biofeedback is about regulating HRV – not about learning how to relax
- 41:30 – The mechanics of HRV Biofeedback
- 44:00 – How to breath when doing HRV biofeedback
- 51:15 – Ways in which you can incorporate mindfulness into your daily activities
- 55:15 – Most common complaints about mindfulness that Dr. Khazan sees in her practice
- 58:30 – Pros and Cons to monitoring HRV during an HRV Biofeedback training session