Heal injuries, reduce pain, and recover faster with Dr. Amy Baxter
Dr. Amy Baxter
After researching pain and practicing pediatric emergency medicine for 20 years, Dr. Amy Baxter invented and was federally funded to research a cryovibration device (“Buzzy”) to eliminate pain from shots. “Buzzy” has now blocked pain from over 32 million needle procedures.
When adults started using Buzzy to avoid opioids after surgery, Dr. Baxter went full time to create and research reusable drug-free devices like VibraCool and DuoTherm Vibrating Back Relief.
Dr. Baxter publishes and speaks internationally on drug free pain relief, pain management, procedural sedation, and created and validated the BARF scale for children with cancer to rate nausea.
In her role as Chief Medical Officer and CEO of Pain Care Labs, Dr. Baxter has won numerous awards including the GA Bio “Most Innovative CEO”, “Top 50 Healthcare Transformer”, and “Industry Leader in Noninvasive Pain Relief.” She was called the “Idea Person” by Wall Street Journal, and Top Women in Healthcare to Watch by Forbes magazine.
Amy has given TED talks on the rise, cause, and consequences of needle phobia, and on the Future of Pain Management at Exponential medicine. She is also known for turning down Mr. Wonderful on Shark Tank.
Website(s): Pain Care Labs
Episode Resources and Links
In This Episode
- 0:50 Welcome and Intro
- 3:00 The science of pain (acute and chronic)
- 7:30 Amy’s journey to this unusual place
- 13:30 critical muscle-receptors (pressure sensing) that interact with pain neurons
- 15:00 TENS units, creams and other pain solutions that only solve part of the problem
- 17:00 frequencies and amplitudes of vibration and their impact on pain and muscle soreness
- 18:35 vibration compared to massage and stretching in decreasing delayed onset muscle soreness
- 20:30 whole-body vibration plates
- 22:25 the body is designed to get bigger and grow in response to manageable strain
- 25:30 the latest research on precise vibration patterns
- 31:15 the impact of ibuprofen, vibration and ice on inflammation, recovery and healing
- 39:25 sleep, supplements, therapies and physical solutions that docs don’t know they can prescribe for pain
- 42:00 physical problems need physical solutions
- 43:10 the temperature side of the pain equation
- 51:00 where to find Amy’s pain and recovery products
- 54:00 what Amy is up to next!