How to: Long-Term Success With Ketogenic Diets w/ Alessandro Ferretti
In This Episode
In this episode, Alessandro Ferretti joins us to discuss a ketogenic diet (lifestyle), what a “healthy” keto diet looks like, chronobiology of eating windows, the top three reasons a keto diet fails, and much more in this rich episode. We also get caught up on Alessandro’s latest research and get advice on how to have long-term success with a ketogenic lifestyle.
- 0:00: Intro and agenda
- 2:00: What Alessandro has been working on lately
- 3:45: the proper definition of ketogenic diet (lifestyle)
- 6:30: different “flavors” of a ketogenic lifstyle
- 8:00: problems with the term “fat-adapted”
- 12:00: keto diets vary greatly by goal
- 16:30: what is a “healthy” keto diet?
- 20:00: macros versus micronutrient density
- 22:30: feed timing: intermittent fasting vs time-restricted
- 31:00: critical interaction of blood glucose and ketone levels
- 40:00: adding fats to balance energy needs and catabolic states
- 46:00: chronobiology of eating-windows
- 54:00: difference between low-carb and full-ketogenic diets
- 1:00:00: energy balance tweaks for sustainable weight loss
- 1:03:00: managing hunger cravings thru a regular eating times
- 1:13:00: late-eating correlates with higher fasting glucose
- 1:15:00: sticking with the diet: building a solid foundation
- 1:25:00: Top three reasons a keto diet fails to stick
- 1:30:00: Any good keto “snacks”?
- 1:34:00: ApoE4 gene variants and saturated fat metabolism
- 1:45:00: high blood lipids on keto: context is important
- 1:49:30: perspectives on artificial sweeteners
- 1:55:00: Context is everything!
- 1:58:00: Wrap up