A Perfect Storm: COVID-19 and Metabolic Health
Dr. Phil Maffetone
Clinician, Coach, Innovator | Founder of MAF Fitness and the MAF method
Episode Resources and Links
- The perfect storm: Covid-19 pandemic meets overfat pandemic
- HIIT Science Blog: The perfect storm – Is excess fat a hidden risk factor for COVID-19?
- Overfat and Underfat: New Terms and Definitions Long Overdue
- Revisiting the Global Overfat Pandemic
- The Prevalence of Overfat Adults and Children in the US
- Overfat Adults and Children in Developed Countries: The Public Health Importance of Identifying Excess Body Fat
In This Episode
- 0:0:25 – Intro to episode, Paul, and Phil
- 0:3:10 – Why are we calling it the Perfect Storm?
- 0:6:35 – What does overfat have to do with Covid-19?
- 0:13:30 – Specifically, why are we more at risk when we’re overweight?
- 0:21:55 – What percentage of the population is at risk in this way?
- 0:25:00 – Defining overfat and underfat
- 0:29:40 – Why measure at the waist? Why does that ratio matter?
- 0:33:50 – Why it won’t help us to stress about our current situation and why we should instead focus on our long term health
- 0:39:50 – Inflammation and its role in the overfat-lowered immunity issue
- 0:50:35 – Can you improve your metabolic/overfat situation right now?
- 0:55:05 – Conclusion
- 1:00:40 – Coupon for a free pass to Phil’s course