Integrative Wellness, Muscle-Organ Connection with Dr. Stephen Gangemi
In This Episode
Dr. Steve, the Sock Doc, shares a journey of integrating systems within the body. Connecting the nervous system to organs, muscles, bone, connective tissue and more, Dr. Steve has developed a practice around a concept he calls Systems Health Care – Integrative Wellness.
We talk hormones, asymmetry, dysfunction and simple tests you can perform to become more aware of your own situation.
- 2:20 – When a medical practice expands to holistic work
- 3:50 – How systems of the body integrate, from nutrition to injury
- 4:30 – Finding common patterns between improving health and increasing performance
- 5:00 – Patterns and compensations that can lead to injury or sickness
- 7:00 – Acute situations that cause chronic conditions to surface
- 8:00 – Injury related neurological memory. Is your injury actually resolved?
- 9:20 – Finding the root cause of physical injuries – structural and muscle testing
- 11:00 – Simple test for gaining self awareness of structural imbalances
- 14:00 – Is structural asymmetry always going to cause health/performance issues?
- 17:30 – Audio tests of structural and physical dysfunction
- 21:20 – How Dr. Gangemi decides a patient needs to look into nutrition
- 24:40 – Viscerosomatic relationships – the muscle organ connection
- 25:00 – How elevated cortisol can lead to a knee or joint injury
- 32:20 – The role of fascia in organ health, human function and dysfunction
- 36:00 – Physical injury causing digestion or organ dysfunction over time
- 36:00 – Very odd: A climbing accident that triggered dairy intolerance
- 40:00 – Cheating science: some clinical trials may remove participants who don’t conform to expected results
- 42:00 – Self awareness vs just doing what you’re told – which gets better results?
- 46:00 – Should everyone really wear “barefoot” style shoes?
- 48:00 – What is the purpose of shoes? Consequences of different types of shoes
- 52:00 – Orthotics and treating symptoms vs root causes
- 55:00 – Fear of the floor – a recurring theme and basic tests for health
- 1:00:00 – When playing it too safe (don’t lift that!) comes back to haunt you later in life
- 1:01:00 – When good rehabilitation turns into a chronic bad habit
- 1:10:00 – What is Functional Neurology? Just a way to sound smart?
- 1:13:00 – Eating frequently vs Intermittent Fasting (IF) – the Doc weighs in